Wednesday 12 June 2013

The end is near...time for a little reflection

12 more school days, and I can officially say, "SCHOOL'S OUT FOR SUMMER!"

Congrats to all of you that have already made it! I hope you are enjoying every moment because you've worked hard all year and you deserve the chance to relax!

12 days...I can make it right? It seems like it is still so far away, but I think it is all the work that needs to get done before summer that is stressing me out a bit. So much to do, so little time. Where did the year go? I know I probably say this every year, but this year seemed to fly by.

Within the next two and a half weeks I need to finish up my math program, guide my students through our yearend project (we do this in place of exams), go on at least 3 field trips, write report cards (this one is stressing me out the most), and keep my students engaged, when all they want to do is play outside in the warm weather (and I kind of want to join them out there!).

This week I will be finishing up my math program, and I am always interested to see how my students' perceptions of math have changed over the course of the year. I am so proud of my students, as a good number of them have made great progress this year and have become more confidant math students. Each year, my main goal is not necessarily for all my students to achieve full marks, but simply for them to gain confidance when it comes to their math skills.

I love the challenge of the students who enter my class at the beginning of the year, and they already dislike me simply because I'm the MATH teacher! These are the students who make my job worthwhile. They are the ones I strive to engage, and get excited about math on a daily basis. They are the ones I design my activities and lessons around. So I am always interested to see how they "feel" about math at the end of the year. I'm dying to know if I made even the slightest impact!

This week I had my students fill out an "End of Year Math Reflection".

It gives me an idea of how they feel they did this year and how they have changed as math learners since the beginning of the year. Not only does the reflection provide me with a lot of feedback about my students, myself, and my math program, but I also find it incredibly helpful to have on hand when I get down to writing those report card comments.

So...without further delay, let's see what they had to say...


These were some of my students who really came a long way. I am so glad they think so too!








These ones made me smile...


 
...and, since you can't win them all...


  


If you are interested in using this reflection in your math class, you can download it by clicking on the image!

For those of you still working hard...hang in there...the end is near. You can make it!

I wish you all an amazing summer holiday!


Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment